Home | | Nursery | | House | | Rilo |

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The No Dairy Challenge


In an effort to help little Rilo Jane, I have been eliminating dairy from my diet.  I am thinking the excessive amount she spits up is stemming from an allergy to milk protein.  I tried to avoid dairy the last few weeks and it seemed to start to make a difference. Then I had a few things with butter in them, and well, the poor little girl did not do too well the next few days. 

It sure is hard though.  Especially for the milk drinking, chocolate lover I am.  Everything has dairy in it!  Even things like granola bars!  I think just because I know I can't have dairy, I have been wanting things with dairy even more.  So here's where you come in... Does anyone have any good recipes for treats without any dairy?  Or any luck substituting other foods instead of certain dairy products?  I would love some more recommendations.

7 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

When Katelyn was 6 weeks old I went no dairy because of excessive spit up, too. Like you, I found that as soon as I ate a little bit of dairy the spit up began to flow and flow.
Thankfully, I didn't have to cut out everything that had even a trace of dairy in it (I was okay eating granola bars and a little bit of chocolate). I did eat a lot of eggs, peanut butter, and salads.
When Katelyn was 8 months old, she started eating yogurt and cheese without any problems...but it took another month before she was okay with dairy in my breastmilk.

Chapman Family said...

Since it is getting warmer out cold treats are great...make popsicles out of your favorite juice, sugar free jello, I'll have to think of some more...

Unknown said...

Banana slices dipped in Raw Cacao nibs (from health food store). It's chocolate without sugar or milk. It's not the same, but it does give you that chocolate high. Also make smothies with rice milk and fruit, and freeze into popsicles. You can make peanut butter smoothies with peanut butter, cocoa powder, rice milk, a little honey or sugar and banana, and freeze those into popsicles too.

I've been on low dairy also because it makes me sick, so I know what you're going through. It's really hard. Good luck! Jamie

Kimberley Murray said...

Bri, I've lived this many times before. I have lots of advice! I've had to cut dairy with all the kids while breastfeeding then it took them longer to tolerate dairy on their own then too. But eventually they grew out of it. I drank rice milk on cereal, use one type of Fleshman's margarine that's dairy free, and ate a lot of dark chocolate! Good luck.
Kim

Bri {collected} said...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Right now I'm living off of Trader Joe's chocolate chips!

Ashley Antkowiak said...

I'm right there with ya. And for me, cereal was it's own food group. Good thing I love her more than dairy!

David and Rachel said...

Our niece is allergic to dairy and we've had to accommodate a lot of things but you can use smart balance light for most butter purposes and there are some cake and frosting brands that are made with soy and not milk like western family and duncan hines. You can substitute soy milk in most recipes, too.