Home | | Nursery | | House | | Rilo |

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Traditions, Traditions



Last week, on Etsy's front page, I spotted this adorable Love plate. Besides being a cute Valentine's Day gift, it reminded me of something I have been thinking about lately. With our baby's birth coming soon, and Adam's birthday in 2 weeks, I've been thinking a lot about family traditions. Adam and I have already started a few of our own, but I've been thinking about other fun traditions we could start now that we'll have a little one. I read somewhere in the blogosphere about having a special plate designated for each person in the family. The plate gets used only on certain occasions, like birthdays or if they accomplish something special, etc. I'm thinking that might be something fun one to start.

{More of Nina in Vorm's custom plates}

I want to continue my Mom's tradition of making every little holiday special. Every Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day, or whatever little holiday it happened to be, we found a card, themed socks or a shirt, and some kind of accessory at the breakfast table. It wasn't about being an extravagant gift, but just a little something to show us that she loved us. Each half birthday, she would make a few cupcakes for us...again, just to let us know she was thinking about us. Little traditions like that are some of my favorite memories of childhood!

So now I'm asking you...Do you have any fun family traditions you would like to share? I would love some more ideas!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

here's one: something we kinda started this christmas. we drew names a couple months prior to christmas. whoever you chose, you had to make a gift for that person. it'll be cooler as our kids get older, but this year we helped them make their idea happen.

those are the most exciting gifts to open.